The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Thursday, May 31, 2007

PD visit - part 4

We got to the Watertown airport and at this point, I could do little else but stand around and watch. Here's a lot of prep that goes into getting an aircraft off the ground and I didn't want to be that much of a distraction if I could help it. I felt somewhat useless, as I didn't really know what to do to help other than stay out of the way. So instead, I decided to enjoy having someone else do all the work for a change and enjoy the view.

The view from the ground was delightful, let me tell you. PD was wearing this black UnderArmer shirt that he fills out oh so nicely. Yummy.

PD was concerned about a strong cross-wind and some turbulence above (though we would be cruising above it, we'd have to fly thru it), but we'd decided that flying was the adventure and if it was too dangerous, we'd turn back around and get to Niagara Falls another time. Better safe and late than not at all, I always say.

Once we got into the plane, I started asking questions as to what I do, and PD told me that he'd do the pre-flight briefing before we took off and I took the prompt to shut the hell up. I knew this was going to be the most challenging part for me. There's A LOT of stuff going on in that cockpit. PD said that there's so much that it nearly absorbs his brain to full saturation and he can actually feel it getting warm from almost overloading. That's probably why he likes it - he's just got too much brain power to begin with. But he said that if it looks like he's doing a lot of stuff, that's because he is and that I shouldn't keep talking at that point. I also shouldn't talk when he's talking to the tower. Well, one of the most difficult things was the voice activated microphones. I kept having a problem getting a hang of them which was somewhat frustrating for me. But I took the hint to keep my mouth shut and I didn't take it personally.

I did get the pre-flight briefing after we taxied down the runway and were about to be cleared for take-off. Basically, all I had to remember was to unlock the door when he said to do so, because if we crash but couldn't get out that would be bad. But he was so funny. "In the event of an emergency - don't worry, because nothing is going to happen, but in the event that something does, I'm legally obligated to tell you this - just follow my instructions and don't panic. Your safety is my responsibility. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the view."

Enjoy the view I did... not just looking down back at the ground, either. Sure, it was a lot easier to listen to him when I was watching his lips move, but I also found myself just drinking him in with my eyes whenever I could catch a glimpse. We did get to talk a little, but I kept it to a minimum. It was fun to listen to the tower, too. And at one point, he had me take out his camera and take some pictures from the air. I didn't know what I was doing, mostly nor did I know what I was taking pictures of, but he was just excited to get some shots. "Nothing looks bad from up here. Plus, you can tell they were taken from a small plane." So he was excited to have some shots and I was happy to oblige. I tried to take a bunch, as that's his style. Take lots of pictures so the percentage of good ones is high. I, on the other hand, prefer to be in the pictures instead of behind the camera, so I get bored with taking lots of pictures. I'll take a few and then move on. But I tried to split the difference and take more than I usually would and enough that he'd be happy with the amount to view later, even though I really knew very little about his camera.

We landed safely and smoothly at Niagara Falls airport. It was nearly a picture perfect landing, too. And such a gorgeous day. "We defied death yet again!" PD said after we successfully touched the ground. It just made me smile, because he said it exactly the way I remembered him saying stuff like that when we were in high school.

PD also likes the royal treatment you get from the private plane's part of the airports - like we're high rollers. Well, in a sense we are. Private planes, even when you rent them aren't cheap. They called us a cab so we could get to see the falls. When we were outside waiting, he gave me a big hug. I thought we might kiss right there - an apt reward for a safe landing. But the moment passed and it didn't happen. I was stupidly too focused on the fact that my purse got caught between us when we hugged. Stupid, I know.

The cab pulled up he wanted to know where to drop us off. I suggested the US side, as I was thinking of walking around Goat Island and maybe doing the Cave of the Winds tour. The cab driver suggested walking across to the Canadian side. The view is better over there and since PD had never been, I figured why the heck not? Might as well go to another country since it's right here. So he dropped us off on the boarder, and I picked up the tab for the cab. Least I could do, since he was picking up the cost of the plane!

So we walked across the boarder. I had my passport. (I tend to have it on my more often than not, mostly for paperwork for acting jobs if they are going to put me on the payroll or 1099 me, but I will admit I did take it with me just incase we went to Canada. I didn't dream he'd fly me to Niagara Falls, but I knew that he was actually closer to Canada then he was to Syracuse, so I hedged my bets and made sure it was in my purse before I left home. I swear I was a boyscout in a former life, I'm so prepared!) PD had his drivers' license and his birth certificate. We had no problem crossing into Canada. The guard did make a comment about my birthday being on Christmas. "That's easy to remember," PD said. "Yup, so don't be afraid of giving big-ticket items, as you've two occasionsto shop for!" I said as we made our way past the guard station. I was just kidding, of course... sorta.

Click for PD Visit - Part 5.

Labels: , ,