The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Thursday, May 31, 2007

PD visit - part 2

Shortly after I arrived he suggested we go out to get some dinner. He said there were a couple of restaurants - and he literally meant there were two. This place was a throw-back to small-town America where nobody locks their doors and everybody leaves their keys in their cars.

So we drove for a little while - I have no idea where we were, but I didn't have to. He did say that was one of the places' draw-backs, the absolute dearth of culture, but whatever town we were in with the restaurant was the closest to it and it was a Friday night and people were out and about. The place had a great atmosphere - sort of dark and candlelit and obviously had some sort of interior designer consult on the place, so I was impressed. Once we sat down at a table, we just sort of stared at one another and giggled for a full minute like we were giddy teenagers all over again.

With the menus - a wine list. Yes, let's get some wine! I thought. That will make the giggling less silly - sortof. I asked PD if he wanted to order by the glass or if we should get a bottle, and when he said bottle, I made him pick. Not that either of us are wine experts, but we knew what we liked and were willing to take a chance. He picked some sort of South American red, and it was yummy. It was also fun for me to watch as our waitress brought out the bottle and had to uncork it and let him sample it... back in the day I would be the one doing the ordering and tasting, so it was fun to watch him do it.

He had salmon, I had - some sort of cheese stuffed pasta in a spicy tomato sauce. I was craving tomatoes all week and it went great with the red wine. We finished our bottle and then had coffee and closed the place down all the while talking and laughing and enjoying the view of each other.

We stopped at the grocery store to buy some items for breakfast. He promised to make his famous inside out omelet, so he picked up some fresh tomatoes, radishes, onions and apples. Once we were home we talked more, drank some port. He showed me pictures - mostly of the renovations he made to his house. We looked a little at the stuff I picked up for Niagara Falls, but we decided that we'd mostly wing it. His job was a lot more involved since he would be doing the flying. So eventually we had to get some rest.

His place was very cold, though. I was glad that I brought my flannel pajamas. But we hadn't discussed sleeping arrangements. I had hoped - after all I had been in the car for six hours just to see him, but I wasn't going to push it.

So, as we were getting ready for bed, "Where do you want to sleep?" he asked.

"Someplace WARM," was my answer.

"Then that's in the bed with me."

"Deal."

So I got what I wanted. He was right, he's like an ember. Total human heater. Wonderful to curl up to on a cold night like that one. We talked til god knows when just curled up next to each other.

Click for PD Visit - Part 3.

Labels: , ,