The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Thursday, May 31, 2007

PD visit - part 3

The following took place on Saturday, May 5, 2007.

Sometime after when it appeared to be after dawn, I heard these little toenail footsteps on the hard wood floor and when I looked over at the source, there were his two huskies - wide awake with tails wagging that I had seen them. My brain wasn't functioning quite right yet...

They want something. I should do something. Feed them? These aren't cats, it might not be that simple a task... oh, they probably want to be let outside. Oh, wait, I can't do that... PD said something about not letting them get out to run. I'm going to have to wake him up. Drat. And here I thought I would be a more useful guest than that.

I woke up PD - who is not a morning person at all, and he let the dogs out... they've got an area of their own which is enclosed by a fence, so they can be out without getting out. I let him handle it.

I got up and used the bathroom and was surprised it wasn't even 7am yet. PD had already gone back to bed. I figured I'd get some more sleep myself.

His alarm went off a few times until he just leaned over me and completely unplugged it. The plane was rented at noon, but sometimes whomever rents it in the morning brings it back late. Things at the Watertown airport were pretty laid back like the rest of that whole area.

We got up, he made me breakfast which was DELICIOUS oh my lord! His inside-out omlets with eggs, onions, tomatoes, radishes and parsley. Apple wedges on the side. Bacon. Lots of bacon. (He told me the secret is to cook the eggs in bacon fat. Well, it was yummy indeed and he's skinny as all get out, so...) Hazlenut coffee with fresh milk and maple syrup (which he gets from his neighbor but some of the sap comes from PD's trees), and fresh orange juice. It was quite a feast. Although I helped chop some of the omlet ingredients, as far as the cooking goes, all I had to do was sit and watch.

After breakfast, he got his briefing from the airport and plotted his course and looked up radio frequencies for the towers for flight following to Niagra Falls.

He did have to make a stop at the dump - partly because he never goes when it's open and partly because he had done all that cleaning. So we loaded up the truck and went to the dump and on the way, we had to stop to talk to some of his neighbors. Apparently, this is what you do. You have to wave at everybody and even take the time to stop and chat.

First there was his neighbor Joe who is the "Big Man on Campus" around those parts. He invited us to see his band play at a bar Saturday night. It was my job to remember the directions. They sounded simple, I only had to remember three turns and three towns, but we found out later that night that it was over 40 minutes away. Around there, that's close.

After we drove away from Joe, PD said to me, "You have no idea how excited they will be to see me with a girl in the truck."

Hmmm, I thought. Maybe that's why he introduced me as his "friend from high school" - an attempt to quiet the gossip mill from the get-go.

Next we met this little elderly German woman, Ava. Her first question to me was "How have you been?" like we had somehow met one another before. Then she asked "Would you like to live here?" Woah - PD was not kidding. Like her agenda to get PD married wasn't blantantly obvious. "I've only been here a day," was my answer.

Ava was rather chatty, but we had to wrap it up, because we had a plane to catch.

Click for PD Visit - Part 4.

Labels: , ,