The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Thursday, May 31, 2007

PD visit - part 5

We walked across the Rainbow Bridge to the Canadian side and when we were about at the half-way point, he took out his camera to start taking pictures. I took a few myself as well as a goofy candid of him. I offered to carry his camera case, as he didn't bring the extra strap and was just using the camera strap when it was inside the case, and he put his arm around my shoulder as we continued to walk across the bridge. We even asked somebody to take a picture of the two of us together.

As we walked along the Canadian side, he took loads of pictures and we talked about all sorts of stuff. Some of it was somewhat nerdy by normal people standards, but I was soaking it all up. I remember him talking about SIBR and laser eye surgery and the Domino's Pizza Hot delivery bags, as well as his process for coming up with his unique online username - he used the word "permutation" and I was about ready to swoon. Yeah, I know. I felt like I should have taken notes, as I was more absorbed by learning about his process for creating the name then I was with what the name itself actually was (I've since found it, but at the time I couldn't remember that actual detail). He took some great shots of me, and at one point I just gave him a killer seductive look when he was behind his camera, and he responded by saying "million dollar smile." We were tuned into each other, all right.

At one point we did see a rainbow in the mist, and I pointed out that was why the bridge was called the "Rainbow Bridge". It had nothing to do with gay rights. He laughed. But somehow he got the idea that it was somehow called the "Friendship Bridge" along the way.

We decided to get some food before we flew back, so we found a cafeteria style place right there near the falls. At one point he was distracted by a horse attached to a carriage. Figures. He's such an animal lover. He said he would have taken a picture if there weren't all those tourists taking pictures with the horse. Maybe I should have offered to take one of him with the horse. He said that if we had more time, maybe we should take a carriage ride. I suggested we do it in Philly or even New York sometime.

I picked up the tab for the meal - it was a delicious dinner-type of meal. Always fly on a full stomach. Then it was time to get back. He hasn't his IFR cert yet, so we had to land before the twilight.

When we headed back over the bridge to the US, we discovered we needed to pay a fifty cent toll! No kidding. It was automated with turnstyles, but I bet there were cameras if you tried to jump them to get back over the boarder. PD thought it was an outrage. I honestly didn't remember having to pay a toll last time I was there with my sister. So I called her from the bridge to find out.

"Did we have to pay a toll to get out of Canada?" I asked.
"Yeah, I think so. It was just like Jersey!" was Dr. Sis' reply.

It wasn't a long call, but she didn't seem shocked at all that I was calling her from Niagara Falls. Then again, she and I went up without even telling our parents that we were taking their car out of the country when we went up circa 1995. I wrapped it up quickly, since I didn't want to be rude to PD. She said not to do anything illegal, or at least not get caught - I countered that didn't sound like much fun and wouldn't get us on the news, but wished her well and thanked her for the info. I was actually surprised I got her at home, as I never know her schedule and fully expected to just leave her a message.

Once I hung up the phone, and PD said "I would be remiss if I didn't kiss you on the Friendship Bridge." Finally! I thought. It was a great kiss. Just like I remembered. Then we got honked at by one of the drivers on the bridge and we just giggled like giddy teenagers. It was just such a great, silly, moment. I just buried my head into his shoulder and giggled like an idiot.

That's all... for now. More to come...

Labels: , ,