The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Saying "Excuse Me" does not give you carte blanche OR "Merry Christmas, Bitch"

I was at the mall on Christmas Eve, about to buy a Powerball ticket from the machine in the Customer Service store, when a woman walked into the store after me with tickets in her hand, said "Excuse me," and butted right in front of me to get to the machine. I tried to strike a balance between being polite and sticking up for myself when I told her, "I was about to buy a ticket." Her snuffy reply was "I said 'Excuse me'!" I looked at her dumbfounded, like somehow saying "Excuse me" makes butting in front of someone OK. It's not even asking for permission, it's actually a command. And it doesn't even contain the word "Please". Then she breaks eye contact, but sarcastically says, "It's Christmas. Merry Christmas to you, Bitch!"

Needless to say, I did not stick around to buy said Powerball ticket. In fact, the few times I've attempted to buy a ticket at that particular machine I've been thwarted somehow or another. Perhaps the universe doesn't want me to spend my dollar on the lottery there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home