The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Focus Groups - the truth thru the hype

I'm on file with several focus group companies in the area. The two that called me this week were Schlesinger Associates and the other is JRA or J. Reckner Associates. Every now and again they call me to participate in focus groups. Different companies want consumer opinions - sometimes on existing services and products, sometimes on new products, and sometimes on their competitors. The sessions sometimes are one-on-one, usually taped and done in a room with a two-way mirror so the clients can watch. They usually last an hour or two and you leave with a check or cash and sometimes if it's in Center City they'll even re-imburse you for or validate your parking. Pay ranges from $75 to $125 per group.

They call every now and again, and I do a pre-qualifying survey on the phone. I don't always get in based on that survey, but I get in maybe once or twice a year. I've participated in groups about banking and toe-nail fungus (that was with Focus Point, I think, at 17& and JFK, but I can't find their website... maybe it changed. Anyway, they haven't called recently, but I think they focus mostly on medical conditions and I guess there's not much wrong with me). One time, I was called in to talk about perfumes, and was the alternate - so I got to show up, eat, and then was sent home with a check and validated parking after 15 minutes when it was clear that everyone else had shown up on time!

So tonight it's about beverages... or bottled water... I don't remember. Like I said, two companies called me this week and I only got into one of them.

I hope that helps explain some of the truth about all those internet ads that hype Focus Groups. You really can make up to $125 an hour, but maybe only an hour or two per year.

The links to the companies above do not contain affiliates; however, if you would like to donate to Miranda Lane, it will be gratefully accepted.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home