The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Everyday elegance

Over seven years ago, when I visited Ireland, I bought two grapefruit bowls from the Waterford Crystal factory. At the time (and currently) I don't really eat grapefruit, but I thought they would be the perfect size to enjoy ice cream out of.

Well, that was three apartments ago and in my moving and downsizing over those years, they landed at my parents house to be stored. Recently, I asked my mother if I could have them back, but I would always seem to remember sometime after I had entered the turnpike heading back to my own place.

On New Year's Day, as I was putting on my coat and saying good-bye to my parents after dinner, my mother remembered them so I could take them with me. Surprisingly not only did I have the two grapefruit bowls, but I also had two matching accent plates as well.

So, rather than keep them in storage for some special occasion (and then forget them), I thought I would enjoy them regularly. Last night, I baked a cake (for no particular reason other than I had all the ingredients) and ate a piece (OK, two pieces) off of the crystal accent plates.

Since they are lead crystal, they are heavier than my usual plates, so I figured I burned some calories or briefly worked some arm muscles while I held it up and ate off of it.

My point is this. Enjoy elegance everyday. Don't put fancy things away so that they can be enjoyed someday later. Make "someday" today!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home