The Brainchild of Miranda Lane

Monday, January 15, 2007

TV women are just too skinny

Two weeks ago I was flipping thru and I caught a bit of Desperate Housewives on ABC and I was just so surprised at how ill the principal actresses appeared on screen. And then yesterday I was on the set of Cold Case, those actresses are a little on the too skinny side, too (they were also shorter than I thought they would be in person, but I digress). Then I see Kirstie Alley on the Jenny Craig commercials talking about how much weight she's lost and I don't think she looks all that wonderful. Sure she looks better than she did, but remember when she was skinny?

And I wonder, why am I so hypersensitive to this? I don't think it's simply because a few years ago an indie casting director told me I reminded him of Kirstie Alley and I looked all insulted. It was when she was doing Fat Actress.

It's no secret I used to be fat. Though I am by no means thin now, I am in thinnER, and most importantly, I FEEL HEALTHIER.

I am also an actress, and though I am talented a great deal of my success has to do with my image. I've had success with particular acting roles on-camera and live as well as some modeling, but it's always had to be - to some extent - qualified as "plus-sized". The sad fact is, I'd likely get more work if I were skinnier.

However, I am not going to starve myself to work. Even though my annual income as an actress could easily make me a "starving artist." I have always insisted that any exercise / diet plan would have to be for me to feel and look healthier simply because I wanted to do it for myself. Not for a career, not for a guy... as soon as I insist that others' approval hinges on how I look, I am defeated before I even begin.

I don't really know where I was going with this post. When I started I didn't think that was where I'd end up. Well, that's part of the fun of blogging, I suppose.

But don't be surprised if I get all caddy and comment on the red-carpet happenings at tonight's Golden Globes.

(cross-posted to miranda_lane on LiveJournal)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home